Historical Mayo

Jack McQuesten and Al Mayo met in the mid 1860s and traded and trapped together in various parts of the country before coming into the Yukon in 1872.  In 1886 McQuesten, Mayo and associate Arthur Harper established a post at the mouth of the Stewart River to supply miners who were working the sand bars on the river.  Miners continued to move into the area with small stampedes to Johnson Creek (1894) and Haggart Creek (1895).  McQuesten and Mayo moved their trading post to the confluence of the Mayo and Stewart rivers to supply those miners who were further upstream.   However, it was the Duncan Creek stampede in 1901, followed by the 1903 discovery of silver in the same area that ensured development would take place.  A townsite was surveyed at the confluence of the Mayo and Stewart rivers in 1903 and Gene Binet, an entrepreneur, came to the town in late winter of 1903 and bought up lots.  He began to construct a hotel and store (photos below) and sold lots to other entrepreneurs. 
The Binet Brothers Hotel Front Street in Mayo A later version of the Chateau Mayo

Centennial Edition of Gold and Galena

You can purchase a special 2003 Centennial Version of the Mayo Historical Society Book GOLD AND GALENA from mayohistoricalsoc@yahoo.ca for $55.00 or Box 32 Mayo YT, Y0B 1M0. There were only 500 copies printed and they will be sold on a first come, first serve basis, so order yours today!!

There might not be any left by summer :-(

Back to Main Page